Monday, August 17, 2009

Anyone Else Would Be Called a Choker, But....


A 75 is a choke, though the media will tell you it's not as they're comparing this upset to Douglas over Tyson (seriously), the USA over the USSR in 1980 and David over Goliath (not seriously).....Why was Woods the only one CONSTANTLY gyrating and motioning about the wind, the break of the greens, etc.? Backing away from shots, tossing grass in the air four times before hitting....no matter, I'm sure he'll be back to rack up a couple more wins at minor events before 2009 is over....By the way, the most unbelievable and greatest feat of the day....Yang's two-rep military press of his golf bag after making the clinching putt....If only it could have been Cowboy Katayama instead....

CHASKA, Minn. -- I can't believe what I just saw.

I can't believe I just saw Y.E. Yang win the PGA Championship. I can't believe I just saw Tiger Woods lose it.

"It's both," said Woods. "I mean, I certainly ... was in control of the tournament most of the day. I was playing well, hitting the ball well. I was making nothing, but still either tied for the lead or ahead."

It wasn't a choke. Woods shot 75, not 85. And it wasn't a fluke. After all, Yang shot the lowest round of the day. Plus, he made two career-changing swings that neutralized Woods' final-round aura, including a nerveless, 206-yard 3-iron hybrid shot on the last hole that arched over the outstretched branches of a tree and just cleared the ankle-high rough and yawning greenside bunker before settling just 8 feet from the pin.

But whatever the level is just below choke -- and I don't know what you'd call it -- that's where Woods ended up. He faltered. He needed 33 putts to complete the round. He was the old woman on the medic alert commercial who fell and couldn't get up. Then again, it's hard to regain your balance when Yang has his golf cleats across your throat.

"I played well enough to win the championship," Woods said. "I did not putt well enough to win the championship."

As for Yang, Woods said, "Y.E. played great all day. I don't think he really missed a shot all day."

No comments:

Post a Comment